Wednesday, January 31, 2007

World Nutella Day 2007 - Nutella Sugar Stars

If at first you don't succeed... try changing the recipe.My participation in this event can be chalked up to coincidence and good timing. Nutella is one of my favourite things in the world, and I have been looking for a tasty way of incorporating it into a recipe, and I finally found one.

After my first unsatisfying experience making sugar cookies back before Christmas, I wanted another crack at them, so I adjusted the recipe slightly by adding a bit more flour and reducing the cooking time from 10 minutes to 6 minutes (and didn't roll the dough quite so thin), and they turned out beautifully. Buoyed by this success, I decided to tweak the recipe further by replacing the almond extract with orange extract, and adding chocolate. Ahhh chocolate. For my first attempt I used cocoa powder, which was good, but I thought that Nutella would be an ideal addition and would add another dimension of flavour to the cookies. So I did. Unfortunately, the cocoa and Nutella completely clobbered the orange flavouring, so I left it out the next time.Not only did I add Nutella into the cookie dough, but sandwiched two cookies together using more Nutella as the filling.

And it was good. Oh my, was it good.

All of this brings me back to the fact that at that point I still didn't know about this event, and just happened to be talking to my friend Rob from Hungry in Hogtown. When I mentioned that I had just made some Nutella cookies, he said, "Oh, are they for the World Nutella Day event?" I promptly replied, "They are now!" Click the picture on the right to view the World Nutella Day website, and the event wrap-up on February 7.

What a great idea for an event. Despite knowing a few lost souls who actually dislike Nutella, and for whom I have nothing but pity, everyone I know who likes Nutella, LOVES Nutella. In my opinion it has supplanted ambrosia as the Food of The Gods. One of my favourite things in the world is a thick layer of Nutella and raspberry jam on warm whole wheat toast. Pure joy.


Chocolate Sugar Stars
makes about 8 dozen

1 C granulated sugar
1 C softened butter
1/3 C cream cheese, softened
½ tsp salt
1 tsp orange extract
½ tsp vanilla
1 egg yolk (reserve white)
2¼ C all-purpose flour
¼ C cocoa powder
1 big (OK, huge) spoonful of Nutella (about 2 tbsp)
colored decorative sugar (I used white for these ones)
more Nutella for spreading

In large bowl cream together the sugar, butter and cream cheese.
Add the salt, extracts, egg yolk, cocoa powder and Nutella; blend well.
Stir in flour until well blended. Chill dough for 2 hours.
Pre-heat oven to 350F/180C.
On lightly floured surface, roll out dough one-third at a time to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with lightly floured cookie cutter (I used a star-shaped one). Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Leave cookie plain, or brush with lightly beaten egg white and sprinkle with colored sugar. Bake for about 6-7 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely on wire racks.
After the cookies have cooled completely, thinly (or thickly) spread some Nutella on one cookie, then cover with another, sugar sides out. Press together lightly so that the cookies adhere. Chill in the fridge in a sealed container until ready to serve.

8 comments:

Sara said...

Nutella is so fine, it deserves it's own day. Your cookies look wonderful!

Anne Coleman said...

Heads up!

http://www.thebestofblogs.com/2007/02/01/best-food-wine-and-cooking-blog-nominations/

Ian said...

Sara,
Thanks for the compliment, and yes, Nutella Day is going to be a permanent event on my calendar now. :-{>

Anne,
Wow. Thanks for the nomination. That's really cool.

Skeezix said...

Jesus, mary and joseph. Nutella day is the most brilliant idea ever.

Goddamn, now my mildly buzzed bottom wants chocolate nutella cookies and cooking them is totally out of the question at this point unless I want to burn the place down.

Brilynn said...

The star shape makes it even better! Adding nutella to my cookies didn't turn out the way I wanted it to, but it wasn't bad, how could it be when it's made of nutella?

evelyn said...

mmmmm. nutella.

good cookie pic, great original recipe -

Ian said...

Skeezix,
Seems like an extreme approach to cooking: Step 1 - preheat house until nicely crispy. Step 2 - mix cookie dough and bake until the Fire Department arrives. :-{>

Brilynn,
Thanks! I found a bunch of funky-shaped cookie cutters at a yard sale last summer. And you've hit on one of my Rules of Baking: If in doubt, add more Nutella.

Evelyn,
Cheers!

Lori said...

I like your idea. They look great. I cant wait to make these.