Wednesday, February 08, 2006

He Shoots, He Scores!


I'm very excited right now. Let me explain. About a month ago, I decided that I wanted to get my hands on a copy of "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" by Julia Child. However, despite being an incredibly popular book, none of the book stores I checked had one in stock.

After several fruitless forays, it was now time to check out "The World's Biggest Bookstore" in downtown Toronto. Yes, that's the name of the store. My friend Dave and I went there on our lunch hour yesterday, and had a look at the cookbook section - all twelve racks of it. Man. We browsed through their stock, and couldn't find it. Oh, we found some Julia Child cookbooks, but not THAT one. Just as I was about to give up, Dave says, "Is this the one you're looking for?", and lo and behold THERE IT IS!! I start to flip through it, getting more excited by the minute, until I check the price. Sixty bucks!! I put it back on the shelf, muttering something not nice under my breath.

I got back to the office feeling dejected, and on a whim I decided to check eBay for the book. I entered "julia child cookbook" in the search bar, and at the top of the list - there it was again! The very book. But wait, the auction had less than a minute left, so I clicked on the link and, joy - SIX BUCKS!! And no other bids. I can't believe my luck. I'm all over that like a seagull on a hotdog. Even with the exchange to Canadian dollars and the shipping charges, it still ends up being less than twenty dollars.

I was going to wait until it actually arrived before I wrote this, but I figured that this book alone is worth multiple posts, so here it is.

To be continued.....

No comments: